Friday, September 24, 2021

2nd Full Week of School (and end of August)

Sunday August 22nd our church had a End of Summer Splash Down party. We drove about 15-20 minutes to a local camp for a pool party and picnic. It was a super hot day so great for the pool!

Monday August 23rd was the start to a crazy two weeks. Started off somewhat low key with Thomas's teacher visit for preschool. He got to meet his new teacher and I got to see his room. However he had woken that morning with an incredible swollen penis. I had hoped maybe it was just a too soaked diaper from overnight because he had a LOT of pee, or maybe too much time in the chlorine pool the day before?? We weren't sure but were hopeful it would go down on it's own. He was pretty chill and quiet so I knew it was bothering him but otherwise didn't complain of pain. 

Then I got a call from the school nurse that Isaac had tripped in PE and hit his head on the stage causing a laceration. Nurse had me come in to decide if he needed further care. I looked at it and yes he needed to get some staples put in. Thing about my previous work in and ER is I have seen hundreds of these types of lacerations so have my own opinions from prior experience as to whether or not something should be done or not. I was able to take him into a neighborhood clinic (the same clinic our neighbor works at - the same doc that put staples in Thomas's head last year we just got to meet his partner in practice this time since he was out of office)

That didn't take long and I actually had Isaac back to school before lunch. Thankfully I was able to leave Thomas at home watching shows since Kyle was working from home. 

That evening was a restaurant night to support our elementary school. I am actually chairperson for the restaurant night fundraisers so we will be participating in all of them :-D This one was at Jason's Deli and to our surprise they have free ice cream in their dining room! Super fun! Kyle had a work thing so he wasn't with us and we ate early because Isaac had football practice. Kids were being goofy, they are getting along better being back in school and having some time apart. Girls especially :) 

The next day Thomas's penis was still crazy swollen and getting worse so I scheduled a pediatric appointment that afternoon, well we couldn't get in til 1:00. Turns out he had a chigger bite on his penis and that was what caused the huge reaction! She gave us some Claritin to take for the next three days, told us to pick up Benadryl for night time and then prescribed two ointments one an antibiotic, the other a steroid. She recommended spending as much time in a pool as possible, but if we didn't have one a bath would be fine. So we went home and did another soak (We had soaked that morning and the night before as well). While Thomas was in the tub I got ANOTHER call from school that Mary had a fever! It was 102. They were able to do a covid test at school before I picked her up. It was a rapid test and she was negative. Brought her home and she rested. 

Her fever ended up dropping and she didn't spike again so we were hopeful she could return on Thursday, being fever free for 24 hours. 

Thursday morning came and she started to have an awful croupy cough. UH OH We thought maybe this IS turning into covid :-/ So we decided to get her tested again, I made an appointment at our pediatrician for Friday. No one else was feeling ill and we had that one negative test already so everyone else went to school. They did the PCR test so we had the weekend to wait on results. I had a friend who's daughter was ill, testing negative, then same thing developed a cough and ended up testing positive. I was afraid we were headed down the same path. Problem it even if it's not covid it's still a virus and still sucks being sick. There it just the headache of quarantines to deal with if covid is in the mix. Kind of a double standard in my opinion. 

Saturday mornign came and Isaac and I volunteered to help out his football team with a fundraising event. We took the early shift to get it out of the way before the heat of the day. We were both feeling well and by being there first thing had almost no exposure to anyone else. Lots of just standing around and being there if needed. 

The girls had a challenge that if they could fill up 100% of their chore chart they could earn a new LOL doll. Well after a week of not making it, this week they did it! Even with Mary being ill she got all her tasks done! She didn't come to the store with me and Emma, but we faceted with her and picked out what she wanted. Girls had fun opening and playing with their new toys. 

Monday came around and we still hadn't heard about Mary's results yet. 
Isaac had a follow up to get his staples out (oh he had to sit out from football practice all week the prior week because of the staples in his head. He could run drills but they had started contact and learning to tackle and he couldn't participate with the metal in his head). We went in and he got his staples out, then we got the call that Mary's test was negative so I took Emma to school. At this point Isaac started getting the sore throat and crummy feeling. He didn't have a fever but he stayed home anyway, and missed that week of football. Isaac and Thomas started to get ill Monday, then Emma claimed she didn't feel well Tuesday so she stayed home. Mary was fully better and went back to school Tuesday, so the week started off with only one going at a time. Since Isaac and Emma stayed home they needed to have a negative test before being able to return to school. Emma was NOT sick, her little tiny sore throat ended up being nothing but we were back to the pediatrician on Tuesday for both of them to get tested. People were on the mend, there were no fevers so Wednesday EVERYONE went back to school, hallelujah! Then yup, I got the illness starting Wednesday evening into Thursday. Thursday I was thankful everyone was in school because I was down and out the entire day. Had to cancel my yoga class I teach on Thursday nights and spend the day on the couch. There was never really a fever, fever... but it was elevated to about 99 or so. Still felt super crummy, not really head congestion but sore throat, needed to cough but it hurt to cough and just weak all over. UGH what a crappy two weeks. 

We had plans to head to Springfield for Labor Day weekend but with the way the past two weeks were there was no preparation for the trip. We did end up going, left right after the kids got out of school on Friday night. I'll post about that separately. 


No comments:

All images are copyright of Daisy Simpson. It is unlawful and illegal to copy, scan, alter or edit the images in any way. This depreciates the photos value as well as my reputation, I take great care in capturing and editing each image and they are each important to me. Thank you for respecting my passion and my copyright.